Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Captain, Part 2

Angels come in all different shapes and sizes; sometimes they're dogs that save you from a fire, sometimes they're a good samaritan who helps you out with a flat tire and sometimes, just sometimes, they take the form of a parking lot attendant named Lindy.

On January 15, 1998 Christina & I went up to see the Colorado Avalanche play and as our norm we got there crazy early to watch the players dirve in. Sometimes they even stopped and signed autographs, hence the reason we always got there hours early. Christina was always hoping that Joe Sakic, the captain of the Avs, would stop and he never did. He was (still is) her very very favorite player and every time we went to a game she left disappointed. Joe never seemed to have the time to stop before or after.

So that fateful day we were standing behind the barrier and got to talking to the parking attendant, Lindy. He was a friendly chap and soon Christina was telling him about Joe and how he was the only player she had yet to meet. Lindy picked up an orange cone and, using our sharpie, wrote "JOE PLEASE STOP" and set it by the player entrance. Joe drove in, passed the cone but didn't stop. It was a nice try and one that actually got him in trouble with the parking lot boss. Oops.

After the game we were milling around by the player parking lot and here came Mr. Joe Sakic. Everyone started hollering at him as he's stowing his gear into the back of his SUV. Lindy went wandering over to him, talked to him a bit and then damned if Joe didn't start walking over. Christina lost her mind! She couldn't believe it! Her hero was walking towards her!!! The other fans were grouping around getting autographs and asking for things like sticks and a skate (he said no) and a couple people asked for a picture. His response was "Sorry, no time." This whole time I'm zipping around like a stalkarazzi, snapping pictures left and right when suddenly I hear, "HEATHER I NEED YOUR HELP!!!" Joe had reached Christina and in her panic she had dropped all her hockey cards. She scrambled to pick them up and Joe stood by patiently as she did. He signed a Sakic card for her (an expensive one, to boot) and then she asked if she could have a picture. "Okay," he said. "But just one."

How cool is that? Everyone else was told no but for her, his number 1 fan, he totally had the time! As you saw in the shot below, she was terrified!! Sadly, I snapped the picture a split second too soon to get the beautiful smile that spread across his face. After she thanked him, he walked away then looked back over his shoulder and gave her a look that I can only describe as Approving. He just looked so happy that that girl was such a huge fan of his. The phrase has been immortalized now and is always capitalized: The Approving Look.

The only other thing I remember about that night is walking back to the car and Christina said, "I'm gonna scream! I'm gonna puke! I'm gonna pass out!!!" Halfway home it overtook her and she let out a scream. But she didn't puke and she didn't pass out. And she gained the greatest memory of her sports hero.

And the weird thing is - we never saw Lindy again! That's why we totally believe that he was an angel sent to make Christina's greatest dream come true!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I am a big red wings fan! I trained my dog to bark at the avalanche players when they were on tv.

Anonymous said...

It's great that he took time out to sign her card and take a picture. It is always a plus when your favorite player does that.

Kathleen said...

I was so confused at first because it sounded so much like the story I already read - then I figured it out - because I'm quick like that. ;-)

One of these days I'm actually going to meet My Igor. Last time he was in town, I was sick so it didn't matter that he was at the store five blocks from my house. This week I'm well, and, of course, he hasn't stopped in. ;-(