Friday, March 9, 2007

Artist of the Day

Today's featured artist is going to be one of my all time favorite musicians. Marc Bolan & T Rex pretty much started the glam rock movement and did it with such groove and style that no one can compare.



I was first introduced to T Rex when I was in junior high and The Power Station released their cover of "Bang A Gong (Get It On)." They started playing the original version on the oldies station and I adored it. But it wasn't until about 5 years ago when I watched Velvet Goldmine and heard the cover of "20th Century Boy" that I knew I needed to add Marc Bolan to my music collection. I picked up "The Very Best Of Marc Bolan & T Rex" and played it non stop for about a month.



I couldn't get enough of his music, especially the song "Raw Ramp." His voice was so sexy in that song and how he growled...it would make me shiver. Still does, actually. So if your life is Marc Bolan-less, do yourself a favor and go get some of his stuff!!!

Trivia: The mother of Marc Bolan's son, Rolan (yeah..Rolan Bolan. Kills me) was Gloria Jones. She was a singer who recorded the original version of "Tainted Love" which Soft Cell turned into a mega-hit in the 80's and that Rihanna sampled in her recent hit "SOS." That's another song you should add to your "Gotta Hear" list!


Glora Jones, Marc Bolan and son Rolan.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I LOVED the Velvet Goldmine!!!!